Frequently Asked Questions
Login and Registration Issues
- Why do I need to register?
- You need to register if you wish to post messages, or use additional forum functionality. Registration will give you access to additional features such as avatar images, private messaging, emailing of fellow users, usergroup subscriptions, etc. It only takes a few moments to register so it is recommended you do so.
- Why can’t I register?
- It is possible that we may have temporarily disabled registrations, preventing new visitors from signing up. It is more likely that we may have banned your IP address or disallowed the username you are attempting to register. Contact one of our managers for assistance.
- Why can’t I login?
- There are several reasons why this could occur. First, ensure your username and password are correct. If they are, contact a manager to make sure you have not been banned. Also if your account is new make sure you have activated your account using the activation email we sent you. Do not forget to check the spam folder if you cannot find it.
- I’ve lost my password!
- Don’t panic! While your password cannot be retrieved, it can easily be reset. Visit the login page and click I forgot my password. Follow the instructions and you should be able to log in again shortly.
However, if you are not able to reset your password, contact a manager.
- What does the “Delete all board cookies” do?
- “Delete all board cookies” deletes the cookies created by the forum which keep you authenticated and logged in. Cookies also provide functions such as read tracking. If you are having login or logout problems, deleting board cookies may help.
User Preferences and settings
- How do I change my settings?
- If you are a registered user, all your settings are stored in the board database. To alter them, visit your User Control Panel; a link can be found by clicking on your username at the top of board pages. This system will allow you to change all your settings and preferences.
- The times are not correct!
- It is possible the time displayed is from a timezone different from the one you are in. If this is the case, visit your User Control Panel and change your timezone to match your particular area, e.g. London, Paris, New York, Sydney, etc. Please note that changing the timezone, like most settings, can only be done by registered users. If you are not registered, this is a good time to do so.
- How do I display an avatar?
- Within your User Control Panel, under “Profile” you can add an avatar. If you are unable to use avatars, contact a manager.
- When I click the email link for a user it asks me to login?
- Only registered users can send email to other users via the built-in email form. This is to prevent malicious use of the email system by anonymous users.
- How do I create a new topic or post a reply?
- To post a new topic in a forum, click "New Topic". To post a reply to a topic, click "Post Reply". You will need to register before you can post a message. A list of your permissions in each forum is available at the bottom of the forum and topic screens. Example: You can post new topics, You can post attachments, etc.
- How do I edit or delete a post?
- Unless you are an administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply. Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.
- How do I add a signature to my post?
- To add a signature to a post you must first create one via your User Control Panel. Once created, you can check the Attach a signature box on the posting form to add your signature. You can also add a signature by default to all your posts by checking the appropriate radio button in the User Control Panel. If you do so, you can still prevent a signature being added to individual posts by un-checking the add signature box within the posting form.
- How do I create a poll?
- When posting a new topic or editing the first post of a topic, click the “Poll creation” tab below the main posting form; if you cannot see this, you do not have appropriate permissions to create polls. Enter a title and at least two options in the appropriate fields, making sure each option is on a separate line in the textarea. You can also set the number of options users may select during voting under “Options per user”, a time limit in days for the poll (0 for infinite duration) and lastly the option to allow users to amend their votes.
- Why can’t I access a forum?
- Some forums are limited to certain users or groups. To view, read, post or perform another action you may need special permissions. Contact a leader or manager to grant you access.
- Why did I receive a warning?
- We have forum rules. If you have broken a rule, you may be issued a warning.
- How can I report posts to a moderator?
- We may allow you to use a button for reporting posts next to the post you wish to report. Clicking this will walk you through the steps necessary to report the post.
- What is the “Save” button for in topic posting?
- This allows you to save drafts to be completed and submitted at a later date. To reload a saved draft, visit the User Control Panel.
Formatting and Topic Types
- What is BBCode?
- BBCode is a special implementation of HTML, offering great formatting control on particular objects in a post. The use of BBCode is granted by the administrator, but it can also be disabled on a per post basis from the posting form. BBCode itself is similar in style to HTML, but tags are enclosed in square brackets [ and ] rather than < and >. For more information on BBCode see the guide which can be accessed from the posting page.
- Can I use HTML?
- No. It is not possible to post HTML on this board and have it rendered as HTML. Most formatting which can be carried out using HTML can be applied using BBCode instead.
- Can I post images?
- Yes, images can be shown in your posts. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.
- What are global announcements?
- Global announcements contain important information and you should read them whenever possible. They will appear at the top of every forum and within your User Control Panel.
- What are announcements?
- Announcements often contain important information for the forum you are currently reading and you should read them whenever possible. Announcements appear at the top of every page in the forum to which they are posted.
- What are sticky topics?
- Sticky topics within the forum appear below announcements and only on the first page. They are often quite important so you should read them whenever possible.
User Levels and Groups
- What are Administrators?
- Administrators are members assigned with the highest level of control over the entire board. These members can control all facets of board operation, including setting permissions, banning users, creating usergroups or moderators, etc., dependent upon the board founder and what permissions he or she has given the other administrators. They may also have full moderator capabilities in all forums.
- What are Moderators?
- Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) who look after the forums from day to day. They have the authority to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally, moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.
- What is “Staff” link?
- This page provides you with a list of board staff, including administrators and moderators and other details such as the forums they moderate.
- I cannot send private messages!
- There are three reasons for this; you are not registered and/or not logged on, an administrator has disabled private messaging for the entire board, or an administrator has prevented you from sending messages. Contact a manager for more information.
Friends and Foes
- What are my Friends and Foes lists?
- You can use these lists to organise other members of the board. Members added to your friends list will be listed within your User Control Panel for quick access to see their online status and to send them private messages. If you add a user to your foes list, any posts they make will be hidden by default.
- How can I add / remove users to my Friends or Foes list?
- You can add users to your list in two ways. Within each user’s profile, there is a link to add them to either your Friend or Foe list. Alternatively, from your User Control Panel, you can directly add users by entering their member name. You may also remove users from your list using the same page.
Searching the Forums
- How can I search a forum or forums?
- Enter a search term in the search box located on the index, forum or topic pages. Advanced search can be accessed by clicking the “Advance Search” link which is available on all pages on the forum.
- Why does my search return no results?
- Your search was probably too vague and included many common terms which are not indexed. Be more specific and use the options available within Advanced search.
- How do I search for members?
- Visit to the “Members” page and click the “Find a member” link.
- How can I find my own posts and topics?
- Your own posts can be retrieved either by clicking the “Show your posts” link within the User Control Panel or by clicking the “Search user’s posts” link via your own profile page or by clicking the “Quick links” menu at the top of the board. To search for your topics, use the Advanced search page and fill in the various options appropriately.
Subscriptions and Bookmarks
- How do I bookmark or subscribe to specific topics?
- You can bookmark or subscribe to a specific topic by clicking the appropriate link in the “Topic tools” menu, conveniently located near the top and bottom of a topic discussion.
Replying to a topic with the “Notify me when a reply is posted” option checked will also subscribe you to the topic.
- How do I subscribe to specific forums?
- To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link, at the bottom of page, upon entering the forum.
- How do I remove my subscriptions?
- To remove your subscriptions, go to your User Control Panel and follow the links to your subscriptions.